Friday, May 22, 2009

i love me some ME!

I took off my clothes yesterday…((((((giggle)))) that sounds like it was the first time I was doing that in a while! Well its just that yesterday I did that and I stood in front the mirror- jeepers creepers why on earth would I want to do that? Anyway I stood to my full height and looked straight ahead, I turned to the left and then to the right and you want to know what I saw? Beauty beyond measure, fearfully and wonderfully made.

I realised that I had been at the brink of falling into the same trap that most women fall into. That of comparing oneself with unrealistic, untrue images of beauty. I am an African woman, I revel in my curves, my strength is in the thickness of my waist, life bounces in the heaviness of my breasts, every single stretch-mark is a reminder of the wonderful life I carried inside my belly. You want to know something, I fell in love with that woman in the mirror, her image is permanently imprinted on my mind, I see the corners of her mouth lift slightly as she starts to smile, to appreciate the view in front of her.

I put on some clothes today… comfy and in my world stylish and I felt good about it. I don’t have to wear skinny jeans and stilettos and paint my face red, pink and blue to feel good. I like my style and I will stick to it, it defines me.

I think of one of my favourite songs of all time, from India Arie, and I just had to get excerpts from the lyrics to make the statement:


Sometimes I shave my legs and sometimes I dont
Sometimes I comb my hair and sometimes I wont
Depend on how the wind blows I might even paint my toes
It really just depends on whatever feels good in my soul

Im not the average girl from your video
And I aint built like a supermodel
But, I learned to love myself unconditionally
Because I am a queen
Im not the average girl from your video
My worth is not determined by the price of my clothes
No matter what Im wearing I will always be india aria

When I look in the mirror the only one there is me
Every freckle on my face is where its supposed to be
And I know our creator didnt make no mistakes on me
My feet, my thighs, my lips, my eyes; Im lovin what I see

1 comments:

Tendayi said...

i love this, I think there should be an anthem to celebrate women's growing beauty. an anthem to teach us to love ourselves as long as we are who we are..i love it. gerring naked huh?